2.27.2010

It Must Contain Everything

Mahler's 5th Symphony.

Wow.


His philosphy was this: "A symphony must be like the world. It must contain everything."

He lived by that philosphy.  I've never been to a symphony that encompassed so many possible emotions, but I feel that this one did.  I was on the edge of my seat one minute, angry at the world the next, terrified, exuberant, crying, relieved, and uplifted.  And none of that is an exaggeration (I really did cry at one point).  I guess because I grew up playing the piano, music became a part of my identity and when it's powerful enough, I feel like the music.  Is it weird to say that I become the music? Because that's really what it is.  I left the concert hall feeling a little exhausted after what I experienced, even though I had only been sitting there for 2 hours, without moving at all. 

I think everyone needs an experience like I had tonight every once in a while.  It's cleansing.  And overwhelming.  Music was such power to change people.  Thank goodness for the blessing of music that God gave to Mahler.


(I included a movement from his symphony in my playlist.  I wish you could hear it live, but feel free to turn the volume up and listen with your eyes closed.  That's the best way.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it AMAZING?!?! Mahler never disappoints.