5.29.2011

Farewell Talk

Today I gave my farewell talk.  


Even though I've had the topic for a few weeks, I chose to write it yesterday.  Good thing I've written a bajillion papers for school and that prayers for inspiration are answered, because the talk actually turned out to be not too shabby.


I even made them laugh.
Well, it was more a mass chuckle (NOT a sympathy laugh, it was real), but it was enough to keep me going.


My topic was "Sharing the Gospel through Word and Example" and of course right now I have a lot of thoughts on that topic, so it wasn't too hard to write, and I was able to speak without looking at my notes too much-something I always try to do.


So, favorite parts of my talk:

This story:
"I'm sure I'm not the only one to have seen this, but as I was sitting in the foyer one day, I noticed a little boy pushing on one of the glass doors with all of his strength, trying to get it open.  Quietly, his father came up behind him, and pushed above his son's head, where his son couldn't see him, and together they opened the door.  This little boy was ecstatic at his own strength and was too young to really notice the influence his father had had in his success, but the father knew, and I'm sure as this little boy grew older, his father continued to help him.
This is how it is with missionary work.  The glass doors represent barriers we have, but as we push against them, Heavenly Father will be pushing with us until we open them together."
(cool analogy, huh?)


And these quotes:
At of the end of the year 2010, there were 52,225 missionaries serving in 340 missions throughout the world. Missionary work is the lifeblood of the kingdom.”    
-President Thomas S. Monson

“The study of doctrine will change behavior faster than the study of behavior will change behavior.”   
-Elder Boyd K. Packer

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?”  
-Benjamin Franklin
My re-wording: "Hide not your testimony.  It is meant to be shared.  How will it guide even your own life if it's hidden away?"  
(Also, look for the symbolism in the sundial analogy.  It's awesome.)

"The sun never sets on righteous missionaries."
-Elder Neil L. Anderson
(Look for the symbolism in this too.  Sun=Son)

“Many of us create to do lists to remind us of things we want to accomplish.  But people rarely have to be lists.” 
-Elder Lynn G. Robbins

“One of the greatest sermons ever pronounced on missionary work is this simple thought attributed to Saint Francis of Assisi: “Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words.”  
-President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

“Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives.”
-President Thomas S. Monson

“Mediocricy will never do.  You are capable of something better.”
-President Gordon B. Hinckley




So there it is.  A very water-down version of my talk.  Hope you enjoyed it.

P.S. If you want a full copy, just comment that you do and I'll send one to you.

No comments: