12.14.2011

Festival of Lights: Week Two

This week has gone by so fast!  I can't believe that I'm already back at the library writing you again.  This letter will be a little shorter than normal because we are on a time crunch today, and I just want to give a heads up to anyone expecting a hand-scribbled letter: I'll write you in January.  I wish I had time to write as a Christmas present, but with Festival, it's just crazy.

I've learned a couple of things this week.  Number 1. Being SUPER excited about festival, even if it is super exciting, is a turn-off.  (...someone actually gave me the stink eye and told me I was nosey. Bahaha!)  Number 2. People do not appreciate learning that they have to be baptized before they can go in the temple (even though I get the biggest kick out of telling them that.)  Number 3. The Church is true! (My testimony of that is strengthened every day.)

Some of the best experiences I've had: A girl walked right up to me and asked me if we could just talk.  I found out she was 18, investigating, and dating an RM.  She was being taught by elders, and just needed a girl to talk to.  When I'm so used to approaching people, it's always a tender mercy to have someone approach me. 

The next night, I saw someone who looked like he was in his early 20's, looking at the temple plaques.  He was fascinated, searching, and absolutely wanted to learn more.  The temple had just drawn him in.  He accepted missionaries in a heart-beat.

Then Jenny Oaks Baker came with her three girls, and the youngest (Sarah), who is 6 and plays the cello, decided that I was her new best friend and followed me around everywhere.  I loved it!
I've also seen people who just need to know they're cared about and then they're absolutely ready for the missionaries.  It's amazing how far a little love will go.

We also had our Christmas party, and watched Kung Fu Panda 2.  It was hilarious to watch with missionaries.  At one point, Po (the panda) is asking his goose father, "Where did I come from?" and almost everyone shouts "Plan of Salvation!" or "premortal life!" or something like that.  Wow.  Only on a mission.  It just made it all the better.

Well, time to go.  I love you all.  Stay true to what's eternal.

-Sister Welch

No comments: