5.24.2009

Smoothies

Lately, I have been in the mood to make smoothies. I'm attributing this to the fact that is HOT down here and that it's a healthy way to satisfy my sweet tooth. Usually, they turn out pretty well, but once in a while, my experimenting goes awry. Here's a recipe to one of the better smoothies: Blend 8-10 strawberries, 2 bananas, a spoonful of peanut butter, and 2-3 ice cubes with a cup (more or less) of milk. This is really great topped with granola and quite a bit cheaper than the chunky banana smoothie at Jamba Juice.
Last night, however, I decided to try a recipe I actually found on the New York Times. The recipe included bananas, pineapple, and a few mint leaves. We didn't have any mint leaves, and only had two drops of peppermint extract, so I decided to try almond extract. I put in about 1/2 teaspoon, maybe more. Bad idea. But a funny one. I wish you all could have seen/heard my family's reaction when they tasted it. Try it on your own family if you're in the mood for a laugh.
Today, still remembering the faces from last night's experiment, I wondered aloud how a raisin and prune smoothie would taste. Mom's reaction: A look of horror with, "OH. Katherine." I guess that means no. Well, I probably should make something to redeem myself before I get too creative.

No comments: