8.17.2011

Faith is Real!

So, just to start off with, I have the most amazing story for you!!!  Last Thursday or Friday, Sister Hazen and I were at Taco Bell and we started talking to this older couple, Paul and Nancy.  They had just lost everything with the economy crash, and Paul is in his 80's and had to go back to work.  They were at ground zero, and pretty humble, and we just happened to run into them.  :]  They were so interested in what we do as missionaries, and they told us they'd come to the visitors' center on Saturday.  We asked them where they lived, and talked some more, then left and planned to see them on Saturday.  Well, they didn't come, so yesterday we planned to visit them.  I was driving, and when we got up to their street, I heard Sister Hazen gasp.  She's like, "We didn't get their address."  I just laughed, because here we were, only with the street name.  But we pulled over and I'm like, "Here's what we're going to do.  We'll just pray and drive down the street until we feel like we should stop."  So Sister Hazen prayed and asked for us to be guided according to our faith.  Once she said Amen, I knew exactly where to go.  It was amazing!!  We stopped in front of their house, walked up to the door, knocked, and who opened it?  Nancy.  Sister Hazen was speechless and I just started laughing.  And to make it better, Nancy acted like it was perfectly normal that we were there.  She was about to leave though, so we didn't get to talk to her, but we'll go back soon.  Wow.  That made my night. 
 
As for the rest of the week before this experience, it's been great.  We've seen a real change in Ralph (from Ghana).  Did I tell you he has a baptismal date for August 28th?  Pray for him!!!  We taught the word of wisdom last time we met, and instead of trying to teach us, or just listening apathetically, he was taking notes! And writing down everything he needed to work on. He hasn't had any alcohol since we taught him, but he's still struggling with the coffee because he wakes up at 4am to go to work and feels like he needs it.  Sad.  But I know once he really commits to live it, he'll be given the strength he needs.  And he's reading the Book of Mormon, and praying, and he's been to church 3 times in a row, and to the Visitors' Center once.  It's incredible to see the change in his countenance, and behavior.  He's going to make it!  We're teaching him tomorrow and hopefully he'll come to the "Why I Believe" program.  Ah!  He's so great.
 
Audrey Dyer is also incredible.  And unreal.  Our last lesson she was asking us to explain the large and small plates of Nephi!  Honestly, what investigator does that? She keeps us on our toes, that's for sure.  And her questions.  So, the first two principles in the Restoration lesson are "God is Our Loving Heavenly Father" and "The Gospel Blesses Families".  We were planning on incorporating prayer into every principle and so we start by asking her how her relationship with God has changed over the years and she goes right into prayer.  Then to tie the principles together, we were going to invite her to pray with John, but no need, because she starts talking about how she wishes that John would pray with her.  Wow.  It's so funny to plan lessons for her because she answers almost like it's on cue.  Oh!  And this was funny too.  We want her to read the Book of Mormon daily, and we knew she was somewhere in 2 Nephi.  We were going to have her read starting with 2 Nephi 25 to the end of 2 Nephi.  When we asked her where she was in her reading, she opened up to her bookmark, and it was at 2 Nephi 25.  Crazy. 
 
I've had some amazing things happen at the VC as well.  On chat, we met Paul, a 55 year old Methodist who is SO excited to read the Book of Mormon.  In his words, "A book about people that lived in America hundreds of years ago?  Wow!  That is something I have to read!"  So exciting.  We have a chat appointment with him for next week.  It's so neat that we can teach people over the internet.  I love seeing how the Lord uses technology to accomplish his purposes.  I really believe that he allowed technology to be created so that his purposes could be fulfilled more effectively.  It's amazing.
 
Well, it's already time to go.  Pray for Ralph, and Audrey and John.  We have a good friendship with John, but he hasn't sat in on any of our lessons with Audrey yet. 
 
One more thought I had.  I gave the spiritual thought in District Meeting, and it was on faith, something I've been thinking about a lot lately.  And I realized this: We need to have faith in faith.  It's real.  I'll let you think about that thought, since I don't have time to explain it.  But some great scriptures: 1 Nephi 7:12, Moroni 7:33, Alma 7: 17-18.
 
I love you all and I pray for you.  It's so good to hear how you're doing, both friends and family.  Thank you for your faith and prayers.  I'll be sending blessings your way.  :]
 
-Sister Welch

No comments: