9.19.2010

Tidbits

I love being back in school.  And I love that I'm in four classes for my major plus two more that are for fun.

It is wonderful!

Here are some tidbits of what I'm learning:

From Human Development:
The most recent topic of interest was nature versus nurture.  Almost anyone would agree that both influence our behavior.  Yet, some people believe that we are inclined to sin strictly based on the nurture element.  Hmmm.  We had a very invigorating discussion on weaknesses, the natur-al man, and how much of a role both nurture and nature play.  Very interesting discussion.  In the words of my professor, "I think this is the most eyes I've seen open all semester."  :]


From Strengthening Marriage and Family
I love the reading for this class.  I'll just share one of the more profound quotes I read recently: 

Your love, like a flower, must be nourished.  There will come a great love and interdependence between you, for your love is a divine one.  It is deep, all-inclusive, most comprehensive.  It is not like that association of the world which is misnamed love, but which is mostly physical attraction…The love of which the Lord speaks is…faith, confidence, understanding, and partnership.  It is a devotion and companionship, parenthood, common ideals and standards.  It is cleanliness of life and sacrifice and unselfishness.  This kind of love never tires nor wanes.  It lives on through sickness and sorrow, through prosperity and privation, through accomplishment and disappointment; through time and eternity…You must live and treat each other in a manner that your love will grow.  Today it is a demonstrative love, but in the tomorrows of ten, thirty, fifty years it will be a far greater and more intensified love, grown quieter and more dignified with the years of sacrifice, suffering, joys, and consecration to each other, to your family, and to the kingdom of God.


From Mission Prep:
If I ever am unable to verbalize any thoughts while giving a talk, or speaking to someone about the gospel, I should share my testimony of the restoration and Joseph Smith.  Then the words will come.

From Statistics:
I've learned how to stay awake when it's hard.

From Cognitive Development:
I've learned how to be a preschooler.  These quotes you are about to read are from my professor and they are real.
Before class started: "Let's put on our listening ears..."
To a girl who answered a very obvious question without raising her hand: "We need to raise our hand."  We? Does that mean he has to raise his hand too?  
While learning about sensory input into the brain: "What can you feel?  I can feel my pants against my legs.  I can feel my toes if I wiggle them in my shoes.  I can feel lots of things!"

This guy is unbelievable and too funny to handle sometimes.


From Women's Chorus:
If I am ever going to teach choir, I will have to have  A LOT of energy.  Anything the director does is contagious.   Crying, laughing, speaking in an accent, dancing, anything.  It's contagious and amazing.



So, this is what I have been experiencing these first few weeks of school.  It's wonderful

No comments: