8.01.2012

A Drop for an Act of Kindness

I'm not sure why, but I've had cheesy 90's church music in my head all morning.  I must be a missionary or something.

Anyway, this past week has been incredible.  I'll go backwards starting with yesterday. 

I went on an exchange with Sister Bleazard to the Spanish program!  It was a blast.  I surprised myself by actually understanding most of the lessons.  I think it helped that I know how missionaries teach and that I could probably teach the Restoration lesson is my sleep, so it wasn't too hard to follow.  We had a full day in the area, with no appointments, and we ended up teaching Bairo, Lita, Stephanie and Junior, and Andres.  Amazing.  It was our first lesson with Andres and he wants to be baptized.  Bairo was sitting at the park close to us while we were eating lunch, so we just walked up to him and started talking.  We taught about the Book of Mormon, and after we left, we looked back and he had it open and was reading already.  Lita is Peruvian and we also taught the Restoration with her, and Stephanie is a recent convert (Junior's her husband) that the sisters haven't been able to contact in weeks.  Miracles and miracles.

The day before that was Sunday.  Kadie and Yvonne came to church.  We heart attacked them on Saturday (which by the way, when I said to Sister Lin, "Let's heart attack Kadie!" she was very concerned for both Kadie and me) and they loved it.  They loved church as well and fit in with the ward perfectly.  We had taken a member named Sylvia with us to our last appointment, and that was perfect as well.  It was just what Kadie needed because she was able to open up, and these young moms were able to relate and strengthen each other, so they were excited to be at church together.  This is why we need the members.  They help so much!

On Saturday, we went to check on Blessing, the 17 year old referral that Bishop gave us.  We sit down and the first thing that comes out of her mouth is, "So I've read about 10 chapters from the Book of Mormon and I want to know what the difference is between it and the Bible because they seem like the same thing.  They just talk about Jesus!"  Then five minutes later her next question was, "Why don't any churches today have a prophet and apostles like Jesus' church did?"  I really wanted to ask her, "Who are you?!" No one ever asks questions like that, especially when they're 17.  She is super prepared, and should be getting baptized on the 26th. 

Friday we were at the VC all day.  I met a man who had joined the church 10 years ago after reading the Book of Mormon in 3 days.  He completely changed his life, and he was at the temple to start doing the work for his family.  He was so excited to hear that I could call his family and friends, that he gave me the names of all of his siblings to call and ask if I could send the missionaries to them.  I got a hold of one of his brothers yesterday, and he said that he'd love to have the missionaries stop by.  Ah! I love prepared people! (I wish I could say how exciting it is when miracles like this happen!  I don't know how though.  Do you feel the joy of this missionary work? Sometimes it's so hard to get it across in emails, but this week has been INCREDIBLE!)

Thursday we saw Ike.  He's G.O.L.D.  He asked us when he could be baptized, then if he was getting baptized in a river or if he could be baptized in a church somewhere.  And THEN he asked us how many times he had to come to church before he could be baptized.  Honestly.  Who knows about things like that?!  That whole lesson with him was one of the most spiritual experiences I've had on my mission....mostly thanks to Sister Lin.  She's full of the Spirit, that one is.

Wednesday was our amazing lesson with Kadie and Sylvia (member present).  We brought a shoe covered with mud (because that seems to be an easy thing to find in my closet for some reason) and talked about how our bodies are temples and we need to keep them clean.  Before we taught Kadie's family, I've never been able to think of so many object lessons.  We're teaching her again today about Baptism, Confirmation, and the Word of Wisdom.  Pray for us.

Well, I think I'm caught up on our week.  I want to start including Sister Lin quotes, but I'm out of time for today. 

I love you all!!!

Stay true to what's eternal.

Love, Sister Welch

No comments: